Navigation

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Doctor #1

A couple of years ago I woke-up in the middle of the night with abdominal pains. It kinda felt like I was getting ready to start my period, but I wasn’t. I wasn't too concerned, but it was unusual. I didn't think much about things and went back to sleep. Over the course of the next few months I started noticing that my menstrual cramps were getting more and more painful. I would sit at my office desk and be in such blinding pain, hoping it would pass soon.

The pain grew in intensity over the course of a few months and I went into my OB/GYN’s office for a check-up. He performed his usual exam and said, “You probably have endometriosis and should try to get pregnant. Getting pregnant will stop the growth of the lining and ease your pain.” WHAT? I was totally confused. We were not ready to start a family yet; we had only been married for a year. This was his solution? Before sending me home, he suggested an ultrasound series to assure I was ovulating. At the ultrasound appointments the nurse discovered I had a cyst hanging off my fallopian tube. She said it was nothing to worry about and everything looked fine. So in 2006 Doc #1 said I was fine, the cyst was nothing to worry about and if I wanted to relieve the pain, I should get pregnant. This was not good enough.

No comments: