Navigation

Thursday, August 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday!


-- 1 --
Is it Friday already? And friends teased me that I would be bored at home not working. Saying I would be a better Mom if I worked. Time goes by even faster now... guess I am enjoying little Baby Claire. :)

-- 2 --
MBA: Crossing off assignments and making progress. However, from this point forward no more detours from my daily plan and schedule. If I have to give up Omaha, then I need to stick with my balance on George, Claire and schoolwork. 15 weeks until the program is over - I have work to do!

-- 3 --
DISH: We SHUT IT OFF! Actually it was pretty easy when they gave me hassle and planned on charging a $5 "downgrade" fee... and then I got upset when they would not credit the account bc I wasn't George. I said, "Well, I am his wife and taking care of this while he is at work. So if you do not credit the account this afternoon, he is going to call you and cancel it tonight" - they wouldn't budge on this "rule" - side note, why do companies implement rules to replace actual THINKING? So they lost their $70/mo revenue stream from us. I wonder what changes will take place in our life now that it is off? I wish I was given a little more props on disconnecting....I am getting teased for making the change. Oh well, what else is new.

-- 4 --
Thanks for all your budgeting tips. I think we actually have a plan here at the Havrilla house. I took a little look at the student loans I have taken out in the last two years and went into full on freak-out rant. We are cutting everything we can and going lean. I called our telephone and security companies in the past week and saved money off the monthly bill, cancelled gym membership... you name it, if we can do without, its coming out of the monthly cash flow. This now has us watching where our money is going. Really, call your monthly bills and ask about options for different service or to cancel, they just might offer you the same deals they offered me.

-- 5 --
Was talking with a friend tonight about being a Mom and planning your weekly schedule so you can have more rest time in the evening with your husband and time to get to bed. We all know we need to do it... Get Up Before The Kids to start the day! Here is a blog I follow that has some really good tips about managing your week and family. I have read her for about a month - pretty good stuff. Especially if you need the motivation. http://inspiredtoaction.com/

-- 6 --
Speaking of getting to bed... 12:11, study break is over and I need to get to the pillow for some rest. I think I made myself sick a week ago bc I was burning too much of the midnight oil. Which I so love... but its not good.

-- 7 --
Please pray for George's grandfather. He seems to have good days and bad. Right now he is really protesting staying in the nursing home. I hope when I get old that nursing homes seem like dorms. Think about it, the majority of the generation that is old now never went off to college and lived on campus. Do you think we will all be so old that we might actually think we are back in college? Just trying to have a positive look on things.

Check Jen at Conversion Diary 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I hear you on the dish thing - we went through the same issues with another provider and ended up dumping them. Ridiculous. I also think it's funny that they play the "you're not the name on the account" card when it comes to customer service, but magically it has never stopped them from taking a payment from me. Argh.

Nice to meet you, found you via Conversion Diary. Be well.

Kat @ Inspired To Action said...

Thanks for the shout out Nicole!

amy said...

So glad you are having fun staying home!!! It's the best to watch our babies grow! I'm proud of you for all the ways you are cutting back-20$ (or more) here & there is going to add up on the bottom line & you'll get those loans done in no time...going to look at the website, but I still don't think I'll be motivated to get up early! :) Somehow, every time I try this, my big kids learn within a week & can sense within 15 min of me getting up that I'm up & then not only can I not get anything done, THEY are up for the day!! My mom always got up before us though...and I know she got a lot done.

Love the equation of dorms to nursing homes...maybe we will be better! Hmm...

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Props on cancelling the dish!!

mrsblondies said...

Good for you on canceling the dish! We've just used our computers to watch shows for the past 2 1/2 years.

I'm glad you are loving staying at home!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the link to Inspired Action. This is just what I needed! Last week I attended a class on self-discipline and most of the lecture focused on getting up early. I felt so strongly this is what I need to do and that it will bless me and my family. The next morning I set my alarm for 6:00 am and what do you know - I've got two kids up at 5:45 am! That's always a bit discouraging.

I've continued to get up early, but I've been exhausted all day and even fell asleep while Savannah was reading her book to me this afternoon. I really think this site will help for me to form the sleep habits that I want and need. I guess it's time for me to go to bed now.